Is this Cecilio CVN-500 Violin Outfit review, we find out if it’s worth recommending, and discover where the true value lies for a new violinist.
The Cecilio CVN-500 Violin at a Glance:
Cecilio CVN-500 Violin Outfit Review – A Luxury Instrument Without Being Too Pricey
The Cecilio CVN 500 Violin Outfit is recommended for more advanced players because of its higher price, but if you are a beginner, this model is suitable as well.
Made from premium quality tone woods to ensure that the sound is great, the Cecilio CVN 500 is also packed with a complete outfit to get you going in your violin lessons.
For a starter violin, the Cecilio CVN 500 violin is a great choice if you want to start with an instrument that will still be useful even after you’ve gone past the beginner stage.
Although it has some flaws to it, which many violins have, some minor tweaks and adjustments can make the Cecilio CVN-500 perform better.
Features of the CVN-500 Outfit
- Product dimensions: 32” x 12” x 5”
- Product weight: 5 pounds
- Hand carved solid spruce top is used for the top part of the violin
- For the bottom and sides of the violin, hand carved flamed maple wood is used
- Has a satin antique varnish
- Features hand-inlaid purfling
- Ebony is used for the fittings which include the fingerboard, chin rest, pegs and tailpiece
- Has 4 nickel plated fine tuners integrated at the tailpiece
- Comes strung with D’Addario Prelude strings
- Other outfit inclusions: lightweight form fitting hard shell case, 2 Brazil wood bows with genuine unbleached horsehair, Cecilio chromatic tuner with metronome, adjustable shoulder straps with foam padding and rubber feet, a lesson book, a spare violin bridge, and quality rosin cake
- Includes 1-year warranty for defects caused by the manufacturing process
How Does it Sound?
What about alternatives?
For a more affordable alternative, you may want to consider choosing the Cecilio CVN-300 as a beginner’s violin. It features an inlaid purfling with antique varnish as a finishing touch.
Crafted from perfectly seasoned tone woods, this violin produces great sound and is also durable enough to be able to withstand the test of time, as well as daily stress from constant usage.
Also, all tone woods used in the construction of the violin have been dried well to avoid warping as well as ensure that the sound it makes is reliable. For the top part, aged spruce is used for improved sound transmission, while aged maple is used for the back and sides, as maple is known for its durability.
Pros and Cons
Cecilio CVN-500 Violin Outfit
- Premium quality materials are used in making this violin
- The tone quality of this violin is excellent
- With the high quality tailpiece, the player has more flexibility when it comes to mixing his own signature on the way music is played using the violin
- Sturdy bow
- Lightweight and hard shell casing makes it convenient to be carried around securely
- Takes well to adjustments or upgrades
- According to some reviews, fine tuning and changing the bridge often will allow students to use this violin for up to grade 8 with no problem
- Outfit is complete
- According to some who reviewed this instrument, it produces a somewhat tiny tone that may not make the violin suitable for use when playing in junior orchestras or ensembles.
- Less resonance
- Some of the accessories included in the outfit need to be upgraded
- A few who reviewed this product had issues concerning the strings that came with the violin as they are placed high at the nut, making it difficult to push down the strings
Compare featured violin outfits:
As with the CVN-500, the Cecilio CVN-300 has ebony pegs, chin rest, and fingerboard, as this hardwood is best known to withstand frequent movement. The bow included in the outfit is also made from wood instead of using low-quality alternatives.
This model also has four nickel-plated and detachable fine tuners that make it easy for beginners to learn how to properly fine tune their instrument. The outfit also includes an extra set of strings for backup in case the ones strung on your violin snap.
Other inclusions offered in the outfit are a hard-shell case with rubber feet to make storage for your violin secure and transporting it a breeze. It is also fully lined for better protection. You are also provided with two bridges, a lesson book and an extra bow.
This is a true violin, not just a VSO (violin-shaped object). For a starter violin, the Cecilio CVN-500 is a great choice.
Although more expensive for a starter kit, if you are sure that you will be playing the violin continuously, you might as well start investing in something that you can still use even when you reach a more advanced level.
This is an excellent cost-effective decision that will save you money and will give you better playing experience.
About: Teacher approved Cecilio CVN-300 orchestra violin is perfect for beginner to intermediate violinist.