Places Where You Can Buy A Violin
Are you in the market for your child’s first violin, and wondering where to find the best deals on student violins?
Obviously, you aren’t ready to go out and buy a professional-quality violin. You want to get something that is of a good enough quality to learn on, has a nice, rich tone, and is the right size for your child right now. There are several options when it comes to where you can buy violins, from music stores to the Internet, and each has its pros and cons. Today we are going to take a look at where to buy a violin.
Your very first option should be a music store. Even if you don’t intend to buy a violin at a particular store, it is still a good idea to go in to see what is available.
This is a great chance to be able to try out the various instruments to see which is going to be the best fit for your budding musician. In fact, many music stores will let you take instruments to try them out for a week or two before you make a purchase, to make sure you are getting exactly what the student needs. Don’t be too quick to buy from a store though, at least until you know the pros and cons.
- Your child can try the violin right in the store to see if it fits and feels right, how it plays, etc.
- There is a large selection, and they can also order one in if they don’t have what you are looking for
- Some stores offer in-store credit or layaway plans, so you don’t have to pay for it all at once
- New violins sold in stores usually come with warranties and guarantees
- You may have to deal with pushy salespeople who are working on commission, and just want to sell you anything
- The prices may be higher than online stores and big box stores
Big box stores
There are many big box stores that either carry musical instruments or specialize in instruments. If you are thinking about shopping at a big box store for your child’s first violin, we recommend using a store that specializes in musical instruments, because you are going to find a much better selection. Other big box department stores usually only carry small selections, and these are usually low-end instruments.
An option that is becoming more and more popular is the Internet. Yes, it is true that you can’t try the instrument before you buy it. But, if you have found a model that you are interested in at a music store that you have already tried, you may be able to find it cheaper online. Take a look at the pros and cons about buying musical instruments, including violins, online.
- You can often find much better deals online than you can at traditional music stores and big box stores
- When you go online to look for a new violin, you will find every model available, whereas a music store may only have a small selection to choose from
- You can’t try it before you buy it
- If there are issues, returns can sometimes be a hassle, depending on the retailer
Buy and sell ads, pawn shops, etc.
You may also be thinking about buy and sell ads for your search for a violin for your child. And, there are several options within this option, because you can choose from online ads, newspaper ads, local bulletin boards, etc. Before you start scanning ads for a student violin, think about the pros and cons.
- You can save a lot of money when you buy a used violin
- You can often find something close to home, so you don’t need to worry about shipping
- The violins are usually used, and not always in the best condition
- There is no warranty or guarantee
Another option is a pawn shop or second hand store. Again, you are likely not going to find a new violin, and there will be no warranty or guarantee if there is anything wrong with the instrument.
More Tips and Advice on Buying a Violin
When it comes to buying any musical instrument, it is important to have a good handle on what you are looking for. If you are able to, test the instrument before buying it. If your child is not yet able to play, bring someone along who does play, so they can tell you if it is going to be worth the money, or if you should keep looking.